Friday, April 05, 2013

Act Now Meetup

This evening I went to the first Act Now Meetup at the Academy of Artisans near Lawrence Avenue & Avenue Road.  We plan to put on a play for charity, but we're still in the early stages.

Irene brought a play called HEAVEN OR HELL, about famous historical people going before the throne of God, with slapstick and lapsed-Catholic humor.  We did a read-through, in which I played Saint Peter. (Coincidentally, this afternoon I was Googling the song that goes, "Oh, you can't get to heaven in a rocking chair, 'Cause the Lord don't want no lazybones there!")

Don preferred doing something about zombies, so Irene will be working on something along that line.  We've been asked to imagine an undead character we'd like to play for next time.  I think I'd like to play someone like the Phantom of the Opera.

Afterward, Irene was telling me about her writing.  She's written two books:  one about her Polish-Canadian childhood in Duplessis' Quebec; and one about working as a printer in a union shop. (In the latter book, she takes an approving view of unions and talks about things women can learn from men.) Neither book's found a publisher, which seems a shame.

Last night I dreamed of Father and I visiting the York University library (he's never been there) and finding a big collection of slide presentations!

I went to see my shrink Dr. Hassan today.  I talked about watching ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS and mentioned that Hassan has an expression a bit like Hitch's deadpan expression in the show's famous introductions (all written by James Allardice).

I read the first fifty pages of WANDERLUST!

No comments: