Saturday, July 06, 2013

A Heritage Toronto walk

Last night I had some vivid dreams, as I predicted.  I was cast in an acting role in this Batman-like gothic TV series; and I was walking around Sackville in a snowstorm and realized I had no place to go to. (After I woke up I went onto Youtube--the new twelfth link on my homepage--and listened to Woody Guthrie's "I Ain't Got No Home in This World Any More." A real classic!)

This afternoon I went on a Heritage Toronto walk around the Guild Park in Scarborough. Getting there via the TTC was a real adventure:  I took the Bloor-Danforth subway to its eastern end at the Kennedy station, then took the Morningside bus east on Eglinton, beyond Kingston Road to the Guild Inn.  I got there an hour early and had time for lunch at a nearby strip mall, where I chose Pizza Nova over Subway.  It's been years since I visited a strip mall!  There's a new cafe there whose opening has been delayed, with a sign saying, "For sure we'll open in June July!" (I got to use my strikethrough!)

I was going to join some people from the Over 50 Meetup for the walk, but the weather was too hot for most of them. (Ruthie did come before the walk so I was able to lend her our copy of Wild Animals I Have Known as I'd promised.) The walk went on for almost three hours and I got a bit of a sunburn on my arms.  Tim Hudak turned up in the huge crowd. I'll have to look up future Heritage Toronto walks online.

This evening I went to 2Q Video and rented a DVD of a recent production of the Stephen Sondheim's famous 1971 musical revue Company--the one about a single man and his married friends--with actors like Neil Patrick Harris, Jon Cryer and Christina Hendricks backed up by the New York Philharmonic. (I saw it on the London stage seventeen years ago, at the cutting-edge Donmar Warehouse theatre.)

No comments: