Monday, July 29, 2013

Back to THE OLD CURIOSITY SHOP

I finished Guns, Germs and Steel last week.  Now I've started the second half of The Old Curiosity Shop.  I read about 40 pages yesterday on the way to York University and back.  I went there for an Aspergers Meetup at the York Lanes Second Cup, where I met Yevghenia and Tiffany for the first time in months.

Afterward I went to the Scott library and looked at the showbiz magazine Variety.  I like the "Crix' Pix" where they give a sample of a new movie's reviews.  (Unlike Rotten Tomatoes with its thumbs-up and thumbs-down, they include mixed reviews.) But it turns out they got rid of it this spring.  I did find a few issues from before the change, so I know that the reviews for the latest Die Hard movie were overwhelmingly negative.

We've been watching the Ken Burns documentary Prohibition on Netflix.  It's pretty depressing, of course.  More proof of H.L. Mencken's line: "For every problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat and wrong." Cool music by Wynton Marsalis. (Father finds expert Daniel Okrent annoying.)

Corn season has arrived.  We ate corn on the cob for the first time this year.

No comments: