Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bad subway decision

Toronto's City Council made a bad, bad decision voting to build a subway line in Scarborough in place of the RT.  It looks to be a white elephant just like the Sheppard line, a money pit undermining overall TTC finances.  Rob Ford said enough to make it clear he lacks a basic understanding of the issue. (I sometimes feel sorry for the Mayor:  he doesn't seem to have any sense!)

I don't say this as an enemy of subways.  The Spadina Line extension they're building out to York University is long overdue, and will ultimately increase the number of suburban users from north of Steeles Avenue.  But this is just wrong.  What Scarborough needs is an LRT system going out all the way to the Zoo.  It'll provide big benefits at a much smaller price than the subway.

Today Moira and I saw the first episode of Top of the Lake on Netflix.  It's a series about a New Zealand detective (Mad Men's Elizabeth Moss) investigating a twelve-year-old's impregnation, produced by Jane Campion.  And it's very original:  I think I want to see that first episode again.

When I read my latest credit card bill from Visa, it turned out I'd paid my bill twice in June, and ended up over a hundred dollars in the black!  So today I went to the bank and took out $100, but instead of getting it from my usual account, I used my Visa and ended up about even.

No comments: