Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Bradley Manning's conviction

Yesterday Bradley Manning was convicted on all but two of the charges against him.  I wasn't relying on a much better result, and I feared even worse. (If he'd been convicted on the "aiding the enemy" count, it would have been a disaster for the press.)

At such times I go to the Huffington Post forums and mouth off a lot.  When people say Manning betrayed his country, I'm quick to say, "He betrayed his government, not his country." Why does this issue mean so much to a Canadian like me.  I guess that with his one act of revelation he did more to make the world a better place than I've ever done.

I'm glad to see that people are already petitioning the White House to pardon Manning.  I know that Obama's launched a war on whistleblowers, in stark contrast to the rhetoric of his 2008 platform. (He's even been using the Espionage Act, which goes back to World War I and the accompanying assault on American civil liberties.) But I'm hoping that if the pressure for a pardon gets big enough he'll take the path of least resistance.  Some people say he'll wait till he's about to leave office, but I say demand it now!  Manning's American supporters should sign a petition promising not to vote for any federal candidate who doesn't publicly support the pardon.  And I don't care what the Nader-haters say.

No comments: