Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Toronto Film Society

This afternoon at the memoir slam, our two subjects were children's books and the family car.  On books I talked about stuff like Dr. Seuss and Tom Swift and the Little House books, and mentioned that I thought Lord of the Rings was about circuses!  On cars I mentioned that I was born in a car--that was hard to top--and that we got our latest car on September 11, 2001.

There's a new South St. Burger and New York Fries that just opened in our neighborhood. We got our dinner there today.  The fries reminded Moira of those British chips that they served in newspaper.

This evening the Classic Movie Meetup had an event at the Carlton.  We saw a double bill presented by the Toronto Film Society, which I'd never attended before.  The first movie was a 1935 MGM adaptation of Eugene O'Neill's family comedy Ah, Wilderness!; the second was a 1946 musical remake called Summer Holiday. (I once saw a British musical called Summer Holiday, with Cliff Richard and his friends driving around Europe in a double-decker London bus.)

Ah, Wilderness! was pretty conventional, though Wallace Beery had some bright scenes as the soused "black sheep" uncle.  As for Summer Holiday, Mickey Rooney had got a bit too old for those adolescent hijinks. (The movie's release was delayed for over a year, possibly because Rooney criticizes capitalism.) I left the second movie pretty early, because I felt a bit sleepy.

No comments: