Thursday, July 18, 2013

CITY LIGHTS

On these hot summer days I've taken to drinking Coke before breakfast. (Yeah, I'm on the road to ruin!) I like to combine an uncooled can with ice so the end result is watered down.  Our refrigerator used to make its own ice, but something went wrong with it and now I get it at the store and crush it with a hammer before 

Today I mailed my snail-mail letter to John and Mary George. (They're at a cottage on the south coast of Lake Ontario northeast of Niagara Falls.) I found out it costs $1.25 to send a letter to the United States now!

This evening I saw Charlie Chaplin's masterpiece City Lights once again.  I saw it with the Classic Movies Meetup group, at an outdoor screening at Pecault Park next to Roy Thomson Hall.  (We got there early and took some of the metal chairs while they were available.) It's the one with the blind flower girl who thinks Chaplin's rich, and the blackout-drunk millionaire.  Classic ending! ("Yes, now I see.") There was a danger of rain, but we didn't get any.

This afternoon I saw the last episode of Freaks and Geeks (with disco dancing and Dungeons & Dragons); and an American Experience documentary about Jesse James.  Seems it was one opportunistic newspaper editor who made James look like a Robin Hood-type hero.

No comments: