Friday, July 19, 2013

New comics

I just got some new Sunday funnies from Barry King, the first in quite a while.  One of the items I'd bought was a whole run of the 52 Terry and the Pirates Sundays in 1971.  This was from near the end of its run, long after George Wunder replaced Milton Caniff as artist.  It's clear they were running out of ideas:  they actually made Terry and congresswoman Dolores Deepsix into a couple!  The story about student radicals burning down a military museum was a little much.  At the end of the year there was the start of a story with the Dragon Lady, but that was mostly in 1972.

I also got some strips like The Lone Ranger, Rusty Riley, Tim Tyler's Luck, Smilin' Jack and Li'l Abner.  One thing I like about Barry is that he'll often throw in some extras:  Sundays that aren't saleable because of tears and such, but I still like to have them in my collection.

This evening I saw an episode of Night Gallery on Hulu.com .  That was the Rod Serling horror show from the early 1970s. (I'm amused by the "relevant" look of TV shows from that period.) Back at the time the credits alone scared me pretty thoroughly.  Today I find it pretty corny.

I also saw an American Experience documentary about the Greely expedition to the Arctic in the 1880s that gathered lots of weather data, but their relief ship failed to arrive and it ended in starvation and cannibalism.

No comments: