Friday, July 12, 2013

Art walk

"It's called 'disclosure,' you dickhead!"--My Cousin Vinny

The night before last I thought of going on another ROMwalk, but they don't interest me so much.  Instead I stayed home and saw the DVD of Jonathan Lynn's courtroom comedy My Cousin Vinny (for the second time). It's a pretty good Joe Pesci vehicle.

Last night I went on Betty-Anne's Queen Street art walk again.  Monday's flooding wreaked havoc on her itinerary, and she had to make a lot of last-minute changes.  But for one gallery it was an opportunity:  they made an impromptu exhibit of art they'd salvaged from their flooded basement.

The walk started at the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art, with an exhibit of Louise Bourgeois' modern art.  One of her abstract sculptures reminded me of African art. (It's a paradox that 20th-century modern art sometimes found inspiration in the "primitive.") We also went next door to the Edward Day Gallery's exhibit of Rebecca Last's paintings.  They were mostly clouds on lakes, but they really "move": I felt like there was something happening.  The artist appeared and answered questions!

We also went inside a shoe boutique called Gravity Pope(?).

Afterward I had a big headache, so this blog had to wait till the morning.

No comments: