Sunday, July 14, 2013

Classical Music Meetup

The Salsa on St. Clair Festival went through its second day today.  The noise is inconvenient, but one noisy weekend a year is a price I'm willing to pay for living in an interesting place. (Now if it were this noisy every weekend, I'd give serious consideration to moving!) And it's fun to walk through once or twice.

This afternoon I went to a Classical Music Meetup at the Granite Brewery near Eglinton & Mount Pleasant.  Because they stopped the St. Clair streetcar during the festival, it was more convenient to go to St. Clair & Oakwood and take the Ossington bus north to Eglinton West station, then take the Eglinton bus east to the Granite Brewery. (Normally I'd take the streetcar east to the Yonge subway, then go east from the Eglinton station.)

This is the first Classical Music Meetup event I've been to in a little while. (They've had to make changes because their former location has been priced out of affordability.) Like my Meetup, they're now charging a $5 membership fee.  They held a raffle, and I won a CD of Rolando Villazon singing movie songs!

I also met John D., who like me is a fan of Herodotus.  He was pleased when I told him that they've made a sequel to 300, focusing on the Athenian experience.  I didn't care for the first 300 movie--it's the kind of film where the Spartan soldiers go without chest protectors to show off their pecs, and the Oracle of Delphi is young enough to dance naked--but reading the book got me interested enough to see the second movie too.

No comments: