Thursday, May 09, 2013

Art walk

Today I finished spreading the compost on the garden. (It always surprises me how much it settles down with time.) Next step is spading.

This evening I went on Betty-Anne's Queen Street art walk.  We started at the Museum of Contemporary Canadian Art, where they had a big show of photographs from David Thompson's collection. One of them had a caption in Portuguese:  it showed a steamship of 1920s Yugoslav immigrants arriving in Santos, Brazil.  There was also a Michael Snow video display which reminded me of Saul Bass titles.

Our next stop was some more photographs at the Propeller Centre. Then we saw some streetscape photos at a place whose name I can't remember. (And it wasn't on the itinerary, so I can't find it out from there.) Finally we went to the Gladstone Hotel and saw "In the Playroom," an odd display of Jonathan Hobin photographs of little kids making tableaus based on recent events, with titles like "Diana's Dead." Some of us found them tasteless.

I met several people I know from other Meetups there.

No comments: