Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Over 50 Meetup

This morning I went to a Meetup for people over 50.  Ruthie, the very friendly organizer, calls us Vavavavoomers, which makes sense:  you have to be over 50 to remember that expression! (They should call a Meetup for people over 70 "What's the story, morning glory?") Their first event was at the Scarborough restaurant Eggsact, which sounded promising, but it was too early for me to get there.

This event was at Edward Gardens, and it was also a bit too early:  I got there 15 minutes late and the others had already gone down into the ravine.  Ruthie was still up at the meeting place, because her legs are too weak for the steps. (That's what happens when you have a Meetup for people over 50!) I tried to find the others but couldn't, so I returned and hung with Ruthie until they returned.  She was telling me the history of her neighborhood, so I ended up telling her about our own house's 100-year history.

Later I finished reading WILD ANIMALS I HAVE KNOWN.  I'd shown the book to Ruthie, and she's so interested that I promised to lend it to her at our next event. (Ernest Thompson Seton was ahead of his time:  I just read that he criticized the policy of forcing First Nations children into residential schools when hardly anyone else was doing so.  Ruthie's interested in residential school history because she was doing some legal work related to that.)

And Ruthie says she's still learning the organization game, and she'll schedule events less early in the future.

No comments: