Saturday, May 04, 2013

Two Meetups

This morning I went to a Life Begins at Forty Meetup.  We walked east along the boardwalk at the Beaches.  The weather was great!  Over 20 people showed up.  We returned along Queen Street, stopping at the Outrigger restaurant for lunch, but I couldn't stay as long as the others because of my afternoon event.

In the afternoon I attended the Brunch and Book Club Meetup at the Camp restaurant on Jane Street.  We had lunch and discussed the Camus novel L'ETRANGER. (I ordered the French toast special.)

Afterward we all nominated a book for the next event, then voted.  I nominated WILD ANIMALS I HAVE KNOWN (the book I'm reading now) and voted for John Kennedy Toole's A CONFEDERATION OF DUNCES.  But the winner was Jonas Jonasson's Swedish novel THE 100 YEAR OLD MAN WHO CLIMBED OUT THE WINDOW AND DISAPPEARED.  At 400 pages, it sounds a bit too long for me.

Today I was reading in WILD ANIMALS I HAVE KNOWN the story about cowboys out to capture a fabled mustang.  It mentioned that one way to do so is by running them down in the right place, but another one is to walk them down, which means using a relay of horses and riders to keep a little behind them for days until they're too tired to run away.  I imagine that method applies to romance too!

No comments: